Continuing to promote their legendary reputation for producing monstrous sports cars, the Nissan Motorsports and Performance group presents the 2016 Nissan GT-R NISMO. This extreme iteration of the legendary GT-R supercar features unique NISMO suspension tuning and a high-performance turbocharged 3.8-liter V6 engine. The 2016 Nissan GT-R in NISMO trim will once again be offered in the U.S. in very limited quantities. Other 2016 GT-R models include the GT-R Premium and the GT-R Black editions.
Taking shape as a race car in street trappings, the 2016 Nissan GT-R NISMO is designed to test the very limits of vehicle performance. As the most capable high-performance production vehicle ever produced by Nissan, the 2016 GT-R NISMO is every bit as comfortable on the track as on the highway.
The GT-R NISMO model itself was motivated by the NISMO prepared GT-R racer. The race version competed successfully at the 2012 Nurburgring 24-hour endurance race in near-production form. In 2013, a GT-R NISMO “Time Attack” Concept car was tested at the legendary road course. It was driven to a Nurburgring record elapsed lap time of 7-minutes. This set a new record for volume production cars and the entire Nissan line.
With such an impressive statistic to the NISMO GT-R’s credit, it should come as no surprise that Nissan places a pretty high emphasis on the title letter “R” (for racing). Here are a few notable facts about the 2016 Nissan GT-R NISMO:
- An additional adhesive bonding process is used in body construction to increase body shell rigidity.
- The NISMO tuned suspension reduces weight and provides additional roll stiffness.
- The engine provides an increase of 55-horsepower and 18 lb.-ft. of torque over tha already potent standard GT-R.
- Carbon fiber front and rear bumpers, rear deck lid and spoiler, and lower front undercover are designed to increase aerodynamic properties and increased downforce.
- The front bucket seats are ergonomically engineered by Recaro to yield a supportive, yet comfortable foundation for the driver.
- The racing style steering wheel is trimmed in Alcantara, with the trademark red center logo, to provide a unique combination of comfort, feedback, and grip for the driving enthusiast.
The 2016 Nissan GT-R NISMO utilizes innovative engineering and motorsports inspired technology to achieve unprecedented levels of power, speed, and handling. At the heart of this sports car, affectionately deemed “Godzilla”, is the VR38DETT 3.8-liter V6 engine and a pair of high-flow large diameter turbochargers, used in GT3 competitions. The larger turbochargers deliver improved breathing, while optimized performance tuning provides precise ignition timing and an upgraded fuel pump supplies the additional fuel needed for the correct air/fuel mixture. Engine horsepower is rated at 600 and it makes 481 lb.-ft. of torque. Each GT-R NISMO engine is hand assembled by specially trained craftsmen in a meticulously prepared “clean-room”. The name of the Takumi engine craftsman is proudly displayed on an aluminum plate attached to the front of each GT-R engine. The entire process rivals that of a top-tier professional racing team.
Photos courtesy of Nissan-North America.