The Bowling Green Daily News reports that the National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park — a racing facility associated with the National Corvette Museum — has been issued a Notice Of Violation in response to complaints from neighbors about noise. The notice gave the facility 24 hours to cease event-related and building construction activities. Just hours ago, the paper reported that the track will defy that order and hold an event scheduled for July 10.
“The notice calls for the motor sports park to comply with adopted binding elements for the property and conditions of approval of the detailed development plan approved for the property, including installation of a noise abatement structure,” the Bowling Green Daily News article states.
The National Corvette Museum‘s executive director Wendell Strode held a community meeting on June 9th to field complaints about noise. In an opinion piece, the Bowling Green Daily News editor wrote “Last week, about 50 residents who live near the park voiced concerns about the amount of noise. Some residents argued that they can’t sit on their back porches or watch television inside their houses without the track noise drowning out conversations or even hear what’s on the television.”
“These residents want peace and quiet, and we don’t believe that is asking too much,” the editorial continues.
According to the editorial, Strode “owned up” to the issue by stating publicly that some of the decisions that were made in building the track weren’t in keeping with the binding elements of the permits issued. “Strode admitted he messed up,” said the editorial.
“Strode welcomed those who voiced their concerns to serve on a committee that will include an acoustical engineer familiar with the project, track and county officials,” it adds.
The plan was that acoustical engineers would take decibel readings at the track, and at homes near the track with permission, both in June and July of 2015, but there’s no indication of what those readings uncovered.
Earlier today, Strode suggested that some of the noise issues would be addressed before the July 10 event runs. “I think our intention will be just to show we’re doing everything within the time period that’s practical, and hopefully the planning commission or the code enforcement board or whoever we need to visit with will understand that and be just generous or kind to us,” he said.
It isn’t the first trouble the National Corvette Museum has faced in the last few years. Last year, a sinkhole opened under the museum and swallowed some priceless Corvettes. The museum planned to reopen and keep part of the sinkhole as an exhibit.