The Dukes of Hazzard was a television program that started and ended its run before the internet was a twinkle in Al Gore’s eye. Yet, its Facebook page has three-quarters of a million FB likes. Here are some weird facts about the show and its characters.
1) Rosco P. Coltrain’s basset hound we meet in season three changes gender. Flash, as Rosco’s hound is known, began the program as a male dog and ended the show as a bee-ach.
2) James Best, who played Rosco P. Coltrain, is a poet. His narrative poem “Summer Storm a Comin” was nominated for a Grammy in the spoken word category. Need proof? Best added the P. in the name to give him something to work with when spitting out the name. Try it without the P. Doesn’t work, right?
3) The “P” in Rosco’s name stands for “Purvis.”
4) Daisy is known in the show to have driven a Jeep. However, if you were with the show from the start, you would know that she drove a yellow Roadrunner for the first few episodes. Obviously the show killed the yellow bird to make room for the real star, the General Lee.
5) Ben Jones, who played Cooter Davenport, was a member of congress after the show. His terms overlapped Fred Grandy’s who played Gopher on Love Boat. This explains some things…
6) Every character in the first season is white.
7) Have you had a hard time finding a Dodge Charger to buy and restore? It is mostly because the show destroyed one per episode on average.
Dukes of Hazzard images courtesy IMCdB.com