Adding to the festivities at the Monterey Car Week this year, the AutoMoto International Film and Arts Festival is featuring showings of the James Garner film Grand Prix, a live CarCast podcast from Adam Carolla and Matt D’Andria, and special appearances from Bob Bondurant and Pete Brock.
The event takes place August 14th thru the 17th at Monterey’s Golden State Theater and the Monterey Marriott, featuring a slate of full- and short-length films, including the classic Grand Prix, starring James Garner; Faith Granger’s The Deuce of Spades, and Henri Chemin and the Lost Hemi.
It also includes great motorcycle films including Peter Starr’s Take It To The Limit, as well as the debut of Why We Ride.
The schedule is ambitious for sure:
Thursday, August 14:
- Why We Ride a documentary chronicling the passions of motorcycle riders of every age.
- Deuce of Spades, a drama about a hotrod girl who finds a mysterious letter in her “barn find” hot rod.
Friday, August 15:
- Comedian, TV and radio personality Carolla and co-host Matt D’Andria will host a session of their popular podcast, CarCast live on stage, interviewing automotive industry icons. Following the podcast, Carolla will premiere an extended preview of his upcoming film documentary; Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman.
- Going Attractions: The Definitive Story of Drive-In Movies: In a nation that loves cars and movies,t his documentary asks: Why haven’t drive-ins survived?
- Panamerica Carrera, A documentary written & directed by filmmaker Stephen Mitchell about the famous Mexican road races of the early 1950s. AutoMoto will pair that documentary with “The Last Great Road Race tracing the modern-day revival of the grueling Panamerica competition.
Saturday, August 16:
- Legendary racer and designer Peter Brock will make a special appearance to discuss his new book Corvette Sting Ray, Genesis of an American Icon. Brock will be joined by motorsports legend Bob Bondurant, fellow racers John Morton and Alan Grant, and Ford GT Designer and artist Camilo Pardo. These icons will discuss the Shelby Daytona Coupe on its 50th anniversary.
- The evening’s lineup, which already includes a screening of Grand Prix, starring the late James Garner, has now been expanded as a film and picture tribute honoring the popular actor and avid racing enthusiast.
Sunday, August 17:
- An assortment of feature films and documentaries will be screened in rooms adjacent to the Rick Cole Auction at the Marriott Hotel.
For more information on the festival, visit www.automotivefilmfestival.com