Volkswagen is showing four different variants on the current Beetle at the New York International Auto Show today.
What Is It?
The four Volkswagen Beetle concepts show a few directions that Volkswagen may be headed in with the Beetle over the coming years. Not unlike the Easter Jeep Safari concepts, some of these are almost production ready, and some are a little more outlandish.
What Volkswagen Is Saying
“Volkswagen is showing four Beetle concepts at the 2015 New York Auto Show, all of which pay homage to the Beetle’s past while providing a glimpse at a possible future direction for the vehicle. There are two coupes and two convertibles, all of which could make it into production in the near future.”
What’s New for 2016?
- Beetle Convertible Denim
- At New York, Volkswagen is showing the first ever droptop version of Volkswagen’s history of “denim” models with the Beetle Convertible Denim. The car in New York is powered by a 170-horsepower 1.8-liter TSI® engine.
- Beetle Pink Color Edition
- There is growing demand for a pink Beetle at Volkswagen dealers—especially in the U.S., but also in China. Volkswagen will be assessing public reaction to the Beetle Pink Color Edition and a limited edition is possible if that reaction is positive. Volkswagen is showing the concept car as a coupe, but it could also be built as a convertible.
- Beetle Convertible Wave
- A few styling touches including Habanero Orange Metallic paint, bright Tornado 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and chromed door mirrors. Classic houndstooth pattern seats and a genuine wood dash make up the interior.
- Beetle R-Line Concept
- The Beetle R-Line concept is powered by a 217-hp 2.0-liter TSI engine. It features aggressive bumpers with large air vents at the front. Design accents include a rear diffuser, painted black exterior mirror caps, a large rear spoiler and 20-inch Monterey aluminum-alloy wheels. The Beetle R-Line concept is 0.6 inches wider than the standard production car.
Inside, look for upgraded sport bucket seats and carbon fiber-style accents on the dashpad, door inserts and steering wheel spoke trim.
When Does It Go On Sale?