You can call it a sporty five-door hatch, but we’ll call the 2016 Scion iM what it really is: The Toyota Corolla Wagon. It’s pretty hot if sporty wagons are your thing, and if you liked the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix twins, this could be your next car.
What Is It?
The Scion iM is a compact five-door hatchback, not unlike the five-door Volkswagen Golf. It debuted at last year’s Los Angeles Auto Show and a lot of people have been hotly anticipating its arrival, not the least of which are Scion dealers, who haven’t had much to get excited about the last few years other than the FR-S.
It’s a much more stylish version of the European Toyota Auris, which is a five-door hatchback version of the Corolla.
What Toyota Is Saying
“If the badge on the all-new 2016 Scion iM stood for ‘instant message,’ the message to young buyers would be that they can now get a fun-to-drive, high-style, high-content, high-MPG rated hatchback for a whole lot less than they’d expect.”
What’s New for 2016?
- All new for 2016
- Five-door hatchback bodystyle
- 137hp 1.8-liter inline four-cylinder
- Standard six-speed manual gearbox
- Available continuously variable automatic transmission
- Four-wheel independent suspension
- Standard 17-inch alloy wheels and 225/45R17 tires
- Electronic power steering system
- Front sport seats
- Sports car-inspired instrument panel styling
- Acoustic layer windsheild
- Standard 60/40 fold-down rear seat and cargo cover
- Standard six-speaker Pioneer sound system with 7-inch Pioneer Display Audio
- Real leather wrapped steering wheel
- 4.7-inch color TFT multi-information display between main gauges
- Standard dual-zone air conditioning
- Standard heated power-folding exterior mirrors
- Standard auto on/off headlamps
When Does It Go On Sale?
The Scion iM arrives in dealerships in the fall of 2015 “starting under $20,000.”
CLICK BELOW FOR A FULL PHOTO GALLERY