Any time a new Nissan Maxima arrives, it attracts attention. This year, Nissan introduces the all-new 2016 Nissan Maxima, which Nissan claims to extend the “four-door sports car” tagline further than ever before.
What Is It?
The Nissan Maxima is a premium four-door sports sedan in its eighth generation. For 2016, the Maxima achieves a power-to-weight ratio that promises to exceed that of the Acura TLX V6 and BMW 335i. Nissan insiders suggest that early AMCI testing shows the 2016 Nissan Maxima SR turns a faster lap time at Buttonwillow Raceway than the 2015 BMW 328i, Audi A4 2.0T quattro Tiptronic and the Acura TLX 3.5L Tech.
What Nissan Is Saying
“The New Maxima is another concept-based production vehicle following the 2015 Nissan Murano crossover, which debuted here last year,” said Shiro Nakamura, Senior Vice President and Chief Creative Officer, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. “The bar was set even higher for the team to achieve our brand promise through design.”
“Ultimately, history will decide where the new design fits in the legacy of the previous seven generations of Maximas that have gone before,” said Mamoru Aoki, Executive Design Director, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. “But one thing is certain, there will be no mistaking the 2016 Maxima for any other ‘mid-size sedan-plus’ in the segment.”
What’s New for 2016?
- 3.5-liter VQ-series V6 has been redesigned with more than 60 percent new parts
- 15 percent increase in highway fuel economy to an EPA estimated 30 miles per gallon
- new, performance-oriented Xtronic transmission for stronger acceleration from a standing start and an all-new D-Step shifting logic that provides rapid shifts at high throttle openings
- revised 4-wheel independent suspension with monotube rear shock absorbers
- Totally redesigned interior
- Standard NissanConnect with standard navigation and 8.0-inch capacitive color display
When Does It Go On Sale?
The 2016 Nissan Maxima goes on sale in the summer of 2015.