Making its North American debut in LA was the 2017 Kia Sportage, which its maker hopes will significantly boost its fortunes in the booming crossover market.
What Is It?
The Kia Sportage debuted back in September at the Frankfurt Motor Show, and today, we saw its US debut at the LA show. Styling is dramatic enough that the Sportage may be able take a chunk of sales away from the Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V and the many other contenders in the white-hot crossover market.
What Kia Says:
Orth Hedrick, vice president, product planning KMA:
“Instead of bland utility, the Sportage combines distinctly European and sporty styling with thoughtful design and functionality, including innovative packaging, premium materials, a turbocharged engine and surprising features.
“Sales of compact CUVs are on a sharply upward trajectory, and the all-new 2017 Sportage hits the sweet spot by providing an alternative for those seeking to express themselves with a vehicle that’s versatile enough to suit their unique lifestyle.”
What’s New For 2017:
- Increased use of Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS). With 51 percent of the Sportage’s body-in-white consisting of AHSS versus the outgoing model’s 18 percent, torsional rigidity has improved 39 percent
- New driver assist features: Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB), Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), Blind Spot Detection (BSD) with Lane Change Assist (LCA), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), Bi-HID headlights with Dynamic Bending Light (DBL) technology
- Cargo room jumps from 26.1 cubic feet to 30.7
- Panoramic roof opens 4.1 inches longer
- UVO3 brings the latest evolution of Kia connectivity, with integral Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
When Does It Go On Sale?
Sometime in calendar year 2016.