Fuel Shutoff Valve “A” Control Circuit /Open
When this code triggers the malfunction indicator lamp it indicates that an open circuit in the fuel shutoff valve system has been detected.
Code Set Parameters
Valve circuitry parameters are displayed as “open” or “closed”. A closed circuit is normal. An open circuit is the equivalent of disconnected or shorted wire and will cause a trouble code to be stored.
A trouble code will be stored and the malfunction indicator lamp will be illuminated. This may or may be accompanied by a no-start condition.
The most common cause of this malfunction is a fuel shutoff valve that has been disengaged. If this is not the case, inspect system electrical wiring and connectors for an open condition.
Inspect the fuel delivery shutoff valve to ensure that it has not been deactivated. Often the fuel pump or other fuel system components are replaced in error due to a lack of fuel pressure at the fuel rail, even when this code has been stored.
- This code is more likely the cause of a lack of fuel pressure rather than a reaction to it
- Test the wiring and connectors at the fuel shutoff valve to make sure that voltage and ground readings are near battery voltage
- Inspect electrical connectors for loose or damaged connectors or wiring
- Corroded connectors, at or near the fuel shutoff valve, frequently test good for voltage readings until the circuit is activated, at which time the circuit is overloaded due to excessive resistance
Begin your diagnosis by visually inspecting all wiring and connectors
- Look for shorted or burned wiring and replace circuitry and connectors as required
If the system wiring, connectors, and components appear to be in normal working order, connect the scanner to the diagnostic connector and record all stored trouble codes and freeze frame data
- This information can be extremely helpful in diagnosing intermittent conditions that may have contributed to this code being stored
- After the codes are cleared, operate the vehicle to see if the code returns
- If the code fails to immediately return, you may have an intermittent condition
- Intermittent conditions can prove to be quite a challenge to diagnose and in extreme cases may have to be allowed to worsen before a correct diagnosis can be made.