As the waning moments of 2013 slip away, I look ahead to the upcoming automotive events of early next year.
Monumental unveilings and rare presentations are to be expected during these can’t miss trade, club, and classic events.
Visit BestRide Midnight Oil Auto Blog for news and updates on these shows, as well as information on events that you don’t want to miss in February.
Porsche by Design –– Seducing Speed
October 13, 2013 through January 7, 2014
North Carolina Museum of Art
Raleigh, North Carolina
Whether or not Porsches are your thing, this display of rare and priceless German automobiles is a once in a lifetime opportunity (unless you plan to travel to the Porsche Museum in Germany). Artistically displayed, this event takes you on a journey through Porsche history. From their humble beginnings, in a small sawmill in Gmund, Austria, as they rise to worldwide recognition. 2014 marks the the 50th anniversary of the Porsche 911. Porsche by Design presents cars owned by movie actor Steve McQueen, rocker Janis Joplin, and fashion mogul Ralph Lauren, as well.
January 1, 2014 through January 5, 2014
San Diego Convention Center
San Diego, California
The San Diego International Auto Show will focus on exotic autos. With such automakers as Bentley, Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and others presenting their latest innovative luxury, high-line, and exotic autos, in the 15,000-square-foot “Exotics Vault” of the inaugural San Diego International Auto Show, expectations are running high.
Additional attractions include:
- Ford Family Day, on January 5, when children under 12 get in free with a paying adult and there will be games and activities to keep kids of all ages entertained.
- Ride & Drive Events from BMW i, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, FIAT, GMC, Kia, Lincoln, Mazda, Nissan, RAM, Subaru, Toyota, and Volkswagen will take place on the indoor test track.
- Electric Vehicle Day — January 3
- Toyota Dealer’s Military Appreciation — Provides free tickets to active duty military personnel. Tickets available at San Diego area automobile dealers, while supplies last.
- 50th Anniversary Ford Mustang Salute — Will feature a bevy of rare and valuable Mustangs from every era.
North American International Auto Show (NAIAS)
January 13, 2014 through January 26, 2014
This is the BIG SHOW! With 50 worldwide debuts expected and automakers from around the globe presenting next year’s models in their best light, as well as a plethora of high-flying concepts from dozens of manufacturers, the 2014 NAIAS in Detroit is among the year’s highlighted upcoming events.
- Press Preview Days will be held from January 13 through January 17. Credentialed media personnel will have an opportunity to scrutinize the wares of every major automaker.
- Industry Preview Days will commence on January 15 and run through January 16. Sponsored by the Detroit Auto Dealer’s Association, the Industry Preview Days will afford 28,000 of the most brilliant and creative minds in the automotive world an opportunity to share insight, form alliances, and inspire one-another to greater heights.
- The Charity Preview will feature Grammy Award winning singer Sheryl Crowe and Motown’s own Commodores in a charity gala to benefit southeastern Michigan children’s charities.
- The 2014 NAIAS Detroit will open to the public from January 18 through 26.